Highly Recommended: To create great memories
Cocomo Relaxation “Feel Good” Spa – The tropical secrets of DE-STRESS, Relaxation, Pampering and Rejuvenation in a hidden island paradise, Allow your Body, Mind & Spirit. Couple Massages, facial, manicures and pedicure at our Spa room onsite. Please contact reception to book.
H2O Boat Cruises – Book a 90 minutes FUN-FILLED boat cruise at Harties on a luxury LIQUID LOUNGE imported pontoon boat! Enjoy a circled trip filled with interesting facts on the area told by the skipper, breath-taking views and loads of fun! This is a perfect way to perceive the area from a different point of view. Please contact Cocomo Reception to book.
Information on this list may change/vary without prior notice. The following
are only recommendations, referrals & guidelines offered by Cocomo as a supportive
gesture to our guests. Distances are estimated and may be inaccurate. It’s preeminent
to deal directly with service suppliers. We hope you explore & enjoy
Harties & surroundings!
Attractions: Something for everybody
Aerial Cableway - Offers a bird's-eye view of the Hartbeespoort Dam and surrounds with panoramic views. Admission is free on your birthday with presenting your ID! Book and order a picnic basket to enjoy on top. Restaurant at the bottom with a bar & self-service express restaurant at the top. To explore excellent recreational and educational facilities, enjoy the set out 1km Dassie Loop walkway. Informative signs along the way explain points of interest that you can see from atop the mountain. On a clear day you can see the Coca-Cola Dome in Johannesburg, most of Brits and even some of Pretoria. (On the R512 Melody, ±6km from Cocomo) 012 253 9910 www.hartiescableway.co.za
Ale House – Enjoy a relaxing country side scene with Craft Beer and special pizza from a wood fire pizza. Open weekends and most public holidays Noon to Sunset (Bart Pretorius road, Broederstroom; opposite side of the dam; ± 19km from Cocomo) 082 464 9387 www.alehouse.co.za
Art Galleries – Harties is home to many famous artists & offer plenty of great art galleries. We can recommend Boabab Arts & Antiques / Ole’ Craft shop at Siesta Tappas Bistro located on the main road. (On the main road, Scott street, ±6km from Cocomo) 012 253 1038 / 082 824 0983
Bush Babies Monkey Sanctuary – Walk through a natural indigenes forest on elevated wooden walkways and suspension bridges. Experience a variety of exotic monkeys (of which some are very tame and possible to inter-act with) in an exquisite natural environment. (On the R512 Old Rustenburg Road, ±13km from Cocomo). 012 258 9908/071 172 6965 www.monkeysanctuary.co.za
Bronze Sculptor Dietmar Wiening Gallery – SA’s leading bronze sculptor of birds & marine life. Gallery open Saturdays & Sundays 9am – 4pm or by appointment. (On the R512 Lanseria Road, ±30km from Cocomo), 082-891-9987, www.dietmarwiening.com
Cradle of Humankind: Maropeng Visitor Centre – Official visitor centre of the world heritage site. It is an underground attraction fun, modern museum, taking you on a journey of discovery! (On the R400 Hekpoort Road, Sterkfontein, Magaliesburg, ±52km from cocomo). 014 577 9000 www.maropeng.co.za
Cradle of Humankind: Rhino and Lion Nature Reserve - This prime game reserve boasts with lion, cheetah, rhino, tiger, hippo, wild dogs and many more. View the Feeding of lion, cheetah & wild dog. Live snake displays, Animal crèche with lion, cheetah, tiger & leopard cubs. (On Kromdraai rd, Just off Lanseria rd, ± 50km) 011 957 0349/0106/0109 082 800 5305 www.rhinolion.co.za
Cradle of Humankind: Sterkfontein Caves - easy access to the caves themselves, modern walkways and a boardwalk past the excavation site where world-acclaimed fossils have been discovered, including the world famous “Mrs Ples” and “Little Foot”, an almost complete Australopithecus skeleton dating back more than 3-million years. Tours start above ground and then take visitors deep into the caves, run every half hour, seven days a week. (On Kromdraai rd, Just off Lanseria rd, ±56km from Cocomo) 014 577 9000 http://www.maropeng.co.za/content/page/the-sterkfontein-caves
Cradle of Humankind: Wonder Caves - Boast one of the 12 Cradle Of Humankind World Heritage sites. The cave was discovered by Italian miners in 1898. They mined out approximately 15% from the formation and brought them to the surface. The formation consist of calcite which they placed in a self built oven for 2 week about 1100 degrees. This formed a powder which was taken by ox wagon to Pretoria & Johannesburg to make cement, toothpaste, use to extract gold and the like. Mining was stopped in 1902 due to the outbreak of war and low productivity. This is the 3rd largest chamber is South Africa, the largest being Cango Caves and second largest Sudwala Caves. The entrance to the cave is going down 87 stairs at a 45degrees angle dropping 22 meters below the surface. You will then go down an elevator with a drop of a further 18 meters into the cave. You can expect a Natural Wonder 5 – 10 million years old, Cave Pearls, Formations up to 15m, Rim Stone pool, Stalactites & Stalagmites. (On Kromdraai rd, Just off Lanseria rd, ±54km from Cocomo) 011 957 0006 http://rhinolion.co.za/wonder-cave-index/
Crocodile Farm Inyoni – View Nile crocodiles in the breeding and export programme. Restaurant & Curio shop. Only group bookings of 4 people or more. Booking in advance essential. (On the R512 Mount Amanzi Road, ±15km from Cocomo) 082 857 1548 / 079 337 9381 www.inyoniestate.co.za
Cultural Village Lesedi – (Lanseria Rd, R512) Experience the Five Multi-cultural villages on a guided tour. Traditional dancers and singing show. Rates includes traditional & delicacy African cuisine buffet. (On the R512 Lanseria Road, ±20km from Cocomo) 087 940 9933/071 507 1447 www.lesedi.com
Dam Entrance Aquatic club – Walking distance & closest DAM access from Cocomo. Day visitor’s fee charge. Resort for fishing, bird breeding place for bird watching, scenic panorama views, and swimming pool, braai and picnic spots. (Right in Ou Wapad, ±500m from Cocomo) 012 259 0084 / 076 011 7070. www.ifafi.co.za
Dam Wall & Tunnel – The dam wall was completed in April 1923 where the road over the wall of the Dam and through the 56.6 m long tunnel was opened to traffic, positioned between two mountains. The almost 150m long and 60m high Dam wall with Arch is build in an odd shape (found nowhere else in South Africa.) and termed by the Romans, “Triumphant Arch” who prized it for its strength in retaining water. To accentuate the design, a copy of the Arc de Triumph in Paris is built as a feature on the wall. (On the main road End, Scott street, ±8km from Cocomo)
Dozi’s Back to the Roots - A live music and entertainment venue with performances by some of South Africa's top artists. Delicious food and great Music. Fun for the whole family! Open on Sundays from 10am till late. (136 Rietfontein Farm; ± 6km from Cocomo). 083 445 1042 / 083 445 1042 www.dozi.co.za.
French Toast Koffie Café’ Restaurant Film Set – An unique “French-flair” real restaurant open to public at the original set design specially built as the official “restaurant” featuring as Café Alexandre in the film “French toast”, which playback at Montmartre, Paris, France. The atmosphere is amazing and the setting is beautiful with a mini Eiffel tower and cobbled street. You will feel as if in France! Be notified that everything is prepared with French toast - hence the name. (On the R511 Main road, ±2km from Cocomo) 078 592 6953 www.frenchtoastharties.co.za
Game resort Glen Afric – Game Drives, Elephant walks & Elephant Interaction, Home to Elephant, lion, cheetah, blouwildebeest, ostriches, Impala, Gemsbuck, etc. Restaurant on premise. (Farm 144, Broederstroom, ±20km from Cocomo) www.glenafric.co.za / 082 781 2579 / 012 205 1412
Lion breeding program and game farm: Ukutula –Guided bushwalks with lions, lion presentation programs, lion interactions. (Just outside Brits on Thabazimbi road, Portion 26 of the Farm Klipkop, JQ411, ±34km from Cocomo). 012 254 4780 / 084 510 1047 www.ukutula.com
Lion Park: SA – Nowhere can you get closer to a pride of Lions and other animals and still be completely safe. See the animals up close in all the activities that the Lion Park offers, whether you go on a self-drive tour, guided tour or in the new electric silent vehicle (On the corner of Malibongwe Drive & R114 Road in Lanseria, ±38km from Cocomo ) 011 691 9905/11 www.lion-park.com
Market: Chameleon Village – Shops, Craft market, African art market, Restaurants, Art Galleries, Reptile Conservation Park, Lion & Tiger Park & cub crèche. (On the R512 Old Rustenburg Road, ±11km from Cocomo) 012 253 1454 www.chameleonvillage.co.za
Market: Harties Food, Art & Craft Market - Open only every Saturday 9am -3pm. (At the old Ennis Nursery on the R511, ±4km from Cocomo), 072 073 2010 www.hartiesmark.co.za.
Market: Jasmyn Farmer’s Market – The big wind mill. Fresh produce farm stall & deli, bakery, restaurant, waffle house and book store. Warning . . . don’t go if you are hungry as the treats are endless. Jasmyn Crafter’s market open only every Sunday. (On the R511 Main road, ±4km from Cocomo) 012 259 1183.
Market Welwitschia – Flea market next to the famous Upperdeck Bus Restaurant, opposite chameleon village. Open Tuesdays - Sundays & every public holiday. (On the R512 Old Rustenburg Road, ±10km from Cocomo). 083 302 8085 www.countrymarket.co.za
Margaret Robberts Herbal Centre and fairy gallery display – Tea Garden Coffee shop, Zeng Sand Garden and herb shop. Only open to public on Wednesdays and 1st Saturday of each month. (On the R513, De Wild Road, ±14km from Cocomo) 012 504 2121/071 161 6441 www.margaretroberts.co.za
Monates Citrus Cellar – A variety of Wine, Sherry, Liqueurs, Whisky, Brandy and Mampoer to choose from for tasting – Try the famous MOPANI WORM MAMPOER! (On the R512, Old Rustenburg Road, ±12km from Cocomo) 012 259 3002 www.monatesitruskelder.co.za
Paperworld Scrapbooking Factory - Any crafter’s or party planner’s dream! A huge variety of handmade paper and anything a crafter can think of. (On the R512 Mount Amanzi Road. Take the Silkaats Nek road which is much closer, ±10km from Cocomo) www.paperworldsa.com 012 250 1478/7 or 082 470 5874.
Pilanesberg National Game reserve next to Sun City – Day Visitors can experience a Big 5 Safari with more than 7000 animals hosted in the park. (On the R556 next to Sun-City, ±100km from Cocomo) 014 555 1600 www.pilanesberg-game-reserve.co.za
Pretville Town Film Set - A living sumptuous set design (never before seen in a local movie) built from scratch for the 50’s theme Afrikaans musical film from Hartiwood Films, titled Pretville (In the tradition of the movies ‘Grease’ and ‘Hairspray’). This small, bright and vibrant 1 street “fake” town encompasses a town hall, diner, hair salon, garage, funeral parlour and other distinctive small town features. Because it’s set in the 50s, audiences will also be able to feast their eyes on a gorgeous collection of classic vintage cars. Pretville is a village in “Suspended reality”. Visit the traditional diner to fill your tummy, watch a movie at the bioscope or strike a pose at the “50’s dress-up photo booth for your personalized fun photos. (Just off the R511 Main road, ±3km from Cocomo) www.pretville.co.za, 083 266 8567
Shopping: Village Mall - Harties’ main (and only) mall. Shops Include Discem, Woolworths, Foto first, Mr. Price Clothing, Pick n Pay, Vodacom, MTN, All major banks, Checkers, Foshini, Sport Scene, Restaurants, ect. (On the R511 Main road, ±3.5km from Cocomo). 012 253 9160 www.villagemall.co.za
Shopping: SEDIBA Plaza - The closest shopping centre from Cocomo Guesthouse. Shops include Super Spar, Pharmacy, Doctor, Hair Salon, Restaurants & take-outs, ect. (On the corner of the Ou Wapad Street & R511 Main road, ±1.5km from Cocomo).
Silver Hills Gems - Providers of a huge range of rocks and crystals, jewellery findings, pearl strings, bead strings and much more (On the main road, Scott street, before you reach the tunnel ±6km from Cocomo)
Snake and Animal Park – This private zoo is positioned near the dam wall and has a steady stream of visitors who come to watch entertaining snake handling and seal shows in the Park’s large arena. These shows take place at weekends and on Public Holidays. (On the main road, Scott street, just before you reach the tunnel ±7km from Cocomo) 012 253 1162 / 012 253 0195 www.hartbeespoortsnakeanimalpark.co.za
Strawberry farm Tangaroa – Order a picnic basket to enjoy the country side. Strawberry-Picking Season is only from September to December months. (On the R560 towards Magalies, ±22km) 082 503 5996 / 012 207 1116 www.thestrawberryfarm.co.za
Sun City & The Lost City – Sun International’s flagship resort is as popular today as it was when it was first built in 1979. Casino, Entertainment & Events, Valley of the Waves, The maize, The palace etc. (On the R556 next to Pilanesberg, ±100km from Cocomo) 014 557 1000 http://www.suninternational.com/sun-city/
Tan Malie se Winkel – You can buy some traditional tastes like freshly baked farm bread, home baked tasty Rusks, Weskus Bokkoms and all sorts of other goodies in the shop. Braai lunches and farm animals on the premise. (On the R512 Old Rustenburg Road, just after the tunnel, ±9km from Cocomo) 071 659 4044 / 087 802 8403
The Ann van Dyk Cheetah Centre – Guided tours, Cheetah run, touch experience. Booking is essential. (On the R513, De Wild Road, ±13km from Cocomo) 012 504 9906/7/8 or 083 892 0515 www.dewildt.co.za
Van Galen kaasmakerij Cheese farm – Learn how cheese is made and great collection of cheeses in any quantity can be bought at the Farm Shop, as well as a selection of wine, preserves, souvenirs, a range of Dutch favorites, sweets, odds and ends. Enjoy the countryside with a picnic by the river - to be booked in advance. (On the R560 in Skeerpoort, ±20km) 012 207 1289 / 083 226 7834 www.vangaalen.co.za
Attractions: For the young (at heart) and the restless
Zip lines: Ama Zwing Zwing – Enjoy this unique adventure of sliding on steel cables while viewing the game below! With a total length of 1.3km, made up of 7 slides, this adventure in the sky continues over ten platforms ranging in height from 2m up to 14m. (On the R512 in Broederstroom, ±18km from Cocomo). 082 803 7731 / 071 670 0238 www.amazwingzwing.co.za
Zip lines: Canopy tours – Zip lines, ideal for the individual thrill seeker, family getaways and groups. An unique eco-adventure that takes you on a journey through the ecology and geology of the second oldest mountain range in the world - estimated to be 2,400 million years old. 11 platforms have been constructed high against the rock faces of the spectacular Ysterhout Kloof (a nature wonderland carved out of the mountainside over millions of years), joined by 10 cabled slides up to 140 metres long and in places 30 metres above the canopy floor. Inform them on booking that you have been referred by Cocomo Guesthouse to qualify for a 10% discount. (Farm JQ 348, Rietfontein, Towards Rustenburg; ±62km from Cocomo) 014 535 0150 / 079 492 0407 www.magaliescanopytour.co.za
Adventure activities: Arrow Rest – Archery Bow Shooting, paintball, quad bikes. (On the R512 in Broederstroom, ±19km from Cocomo) www.arrowrest.co.za 082 078 9380 / 012 205 1485
Adventure activities: Horse riding – Experience nature like never before: Up close and personal. Ride on lovely, calm and safe horses with a professional guide that accompanies each trail and come into reaching distance of wildlife! Horseback safari trails are easy enough for anyone to join. No horse riding experience is required. Their horses do this EVERYDAY. (On the R511, Henops river road, ± 15km from Cocomo). 082 333 4675. www.hartieshorsetrailsafaris.co.za
Adventure activities & Horse riding: Saddle creek adventures – Offer a variety of adventure activities for all ages and occasions. Horse riding, quad bike trails, off-road Go-Karting, Archery, Game drives, braai facilities (If you are a total beginner or an experienced rider, they have the perfect horse for you! Western style riding is becoming more popular and Saddle Creek Adventures is a safe place where you can learn to ride like a real cowboy and have loads of fun. Picnic baskets can be arranged as well as drinks for after your adventure day. (Farm HH24 Hartebeesfontein Road, Hekpoort, ±30km from Cocomo). 079 467 9906 www.saddlecreekadventures.co.za
Adventure activities & River Rafting: Pelinduna Adventures – River rafting, Rock/wall Climbing, Paintball, Abseiling, Hiking and Quad-bike. Experience our guided rafting trip down the Crocodile River. 2 Seater inflatable rafts, life jackets and helmets are supplied. Experience grade 1 and 2 rapids (basic paddling skills). No, you don’t need to be able to swim - you are issued with a PFD that will help you to keep afloat. The guided Quad-bike trails take you on interesting pathways, over rocky obstacles, through bushveld scenes with beautiful views of the surrounding Harties area. (No. 138 Lanseria Road R512, Kalkheuwel, Broederstroom, ±18km from Cocomo). 083 286 8716 www.pelinduna.com
Adventure activities & River Rafting: Paddle Power - If you have been yearning to dash down a wild river, but do not have the time or money to zip up to the Zambezi, look no further than the Highveld Crocodile River. (At the R512 Lanseria and R104 Broederstroom road T-Junction, ±18km from Cocomo). 012 2051278 / 082 742 1922 / 082 561 0056 www.paddlepower.co.za
Adventure Activities: Wild cave adventure Abseiling & Rock climbing - into real caves! Become amazed by the beauty of wild underground formations whilst accompanied by an experienced guide. 011 956 6197 / 082 486 2464 / 082 632 1718 www.wildcaves.co.za
Fly Fishing Sundowner Adventures - Their fly fishing covers the following activities: – Catch & release day fishing access, Introductory fly fishing for old and young. Rent out equipment & offer training. (On the Farm Steenkoppies, On the R24, Magaliesburg, ±64km from Cocomo). 011 315 4503 / 083 414 0391. www.sundowner.co.za
Fun resort: Club Zanandi - Swimming pools, super tube, exhilarating river-ride, braai area. (On the R512 Old Rustenburg Road, ±13km from Cocomo). 012 258 0161 / 082 896 4378 /082 826 2100 www.zanandi.co.za
Golf Course Brits Club (Four Season’s Golf Estate) – 18 holes. (On the R512 Mount Amanzi Road, ±13km from Cocomo). 012 250 2522, 082 804 2780/92 http://www.seasonsestate.co.za/golf.html
Golf Course Sandy lane (Caribbean Golf Estate) – 9 holes. (Simon Bekker Ave, towards Kosmos, ±14km from Cocomo) 012 244 3000 www.sandylane.co.za
Golf Course Magaliespark – 18 holes. (On the R560, Magalies Park road towards Skeerpoort/Krugersdorp, ±16km from Cocomo) www.magaliespark.co.za / 012 207 9102 / 012 207 1315
Golf Course Pecanwood – 18 holes. (On the R512 in Broederstroom, opposite side of the dam, ±24km from Cocomo) 012 244 8000. www.pecanwood.co.za
Hot Air Ballooning Bill Harrop’s - A 4-hour completely stunning experience. (On the R560 Skeerpoort road, ±27km from Cocomo) 011 705 3201 / 083 379 5296 www.balloon.co.za
Hot Air Ballooning: Life – An adventure of a life time. Package includes snacks, champagne, breakfast & Obtain a certificate. (Take off at Oberon, on the opposite side of the dam, ±22km from Cocomo) 076 778 7676 www.ballooning.co.za.
Paintball Combat – Say no more . . . (Situated Opposite the cableway on the R512). Booking is essential. 083 510 8989 / 073 502 3320
Scuba dive gateway: Miracle waters – A scuba dive getaway in clean spring water. The large clear diving lake is an old open cast chrome mine surrounded by natural bush and farmlands. The water is so clean because it is naturally replenished by an underwater spring. Instruction to beginners as well as for recreational dives at all levels. Night dives on certain nights. Bring your own cylinders or it can be hired. (Corner of 446 Crocodile Drive & R556, Brits, ±24km from Cocomo) 083 235 9840/012 262 0215. www.miraclewaters.co.za.
Tattoo Parlour: Sideshow. . . why not? – (On the main road, Scott street 110 towards the tunnel, ±5km from Cocomo) 073 208 5099, facebook: sublime.sideshow.tattoo.emporium
4x4 Off-road Trails: Hennops - One of the most popular and renowned 4×4 trails in the Gauteng area and is sited in a high mountainous section of the property with dongas, mud holes and other treacherous, man-made obstacles. The course covers some 200 hectares in an area that is also game-fenced and stocked with blue wildebeest, zebra, kudu, blesbok and other small game species. Trails are designed to enable any four wheel drive to experience the true pleasure of four wheel driving in conditions that will satisfy anyone from the first timer to the experienced driver. (On the R511, Henops river road, ± 12km from Cocomo). 082 825 9205 / 082 572 9005 www.hennops.co.za
4x4 Off-road Trails Game Park: De Wildt – The Game Park is specifically designed for 4×4 enthusiasts and has abundant wildlife in a rugged mountainous terrain. (On the R513 De Wildt Road, ±16km from Cocomo) 083 268 8185 | 083 253 4641. www.dewildt4x4.co.za
- Hartbeespoort – Known as the hidden jewel & gateway to Norht-West, lies about 35km west of Pretoria, situated between the Majestic Ancient Magaliesburg, (one of the oldest mountain ranges in the world), & the Witwatersberg mountain range.
- The Magaliesberg mountain range is a geological gem. Its formation dates back millions of years. Its highest point is the Nooitgedacht peak, located 1 852m above sea level
- At the heart of the valley lies the magnificent Hartbeespoort Dam, fed by the waters of the Crocodile and Magalies rivers. It covers an area of approximately 18.83km². The dam is 149.5m long, 59.4m high and has a maximum depth of 45.1m. Its normal range of annual water level fluctuation is 0.8 meters.
- The dam was built on the farm Hartbeespoort, once owned by Hendrik Schoeman (1840–1901). He had the idea of building a dam, in which the community could gain from (Little did he know of the struggle to come).
- During 1891 the train bridge at Meerhof was built over the crocodile river. It was constructed of three spans of 13m each. On 22 September 1891 there was an article in the national newspaper on the president inspecting the train bridge, after it officially opened on the 8th of September. The main road in Ifafi (the way to Cocomo), ‘”OU WAPAD” was the main road between Pretoria and Rustenburg / North West area, where plenty of horse carts & wagons travelled by, hence the name “Old Wagon road”
- During 1896, building of the dam wall began in the crocodile river near the railway line that today runs to Meerhof. The dam wall cost a staggering R10 000 to built . . . back then. It was the largest dam in the Southern Hemisphere. He named the dam “Sophia” dam after his wife, but was later changed to the name that stands today – Hartbeespoortdam. The name of the dam means "pass of the hartbeest" (a species of antelope). This "poort" in the Magaliesberg was a popular spot for hunters, where they cornered and hunt the hartbeest. Hendrik Schoeman was killed when a lyddite bomb shell, which he used as an ashtray, exploded after he dropped a match into it as he lit his pipe (however many still believe foul play were involved). Most visitors to Hartbeespoort Dam have no doubt noticed a cross standing prominently on a small koppie a mile or two on the Johannesburg side of the dam. The cross is a monument to him. The farm and adjacent land was acquired by the State in 1912 through his son, Johan Schoeman.
- It was decided in 1905 to relocate the location of the dam wall. It would be positioned between two mountains (the same position that still remains today). The dam was then originally designed for irrigation. As early as 1909 there were test holes drilled at the bottom of the river to determine whether the rock formation was suitable for building such a huge dam. The size of the catchment area was calculated, the water flow was measured and estimates made of the potential irrigable land. Downstream claims to the existing water stream was established. The topography of the riverbank and rock formations was examined to evaluate the viability of the Poort for the construction project. The formal professional construction of the dam however, only officially started in August 1916.
- Many Setbacks and delays during the construction of the dam occurred, which of some include a court judgement with General Hendrik Schoeman and a certain Mr. Marshevin about the expropriation of their properties. In his book "Agter die Magalies", Bertus de Beer argues that the government acted in a heavy-handed manner to resolve a number of issues surrounding the construction of the dam. During 1915, the wall of the Geldenhuysdam further up the river broke and the flooding of the site caused a delay. In 1914 and again in 1918, huge amounts of construction wood washed down the river due to flooding and was never recovered, leading to the first company’s liquidation due to financial losses. In 1921 a second company took on the project and appointed an engineer, F. W. Scott that tackled the project with renewed energy. The disruption caused by the First World War and the complications it brought on was also a major cause of huge delay. Finally, in April 1923, (after the many setbacks and political upheaval) the project was eventually completed and the road over the wall of the Dam and through the 56.6 m long tunnel was opened to traffic. We take our hats off to the men who gave the Hartbeespoort community something to be proud of
- The bridge across the Crocodile River in Broederstroom was built round about 1927. As the bridge is only 5.5m wide, it was only suitable for one-way-traffic causing many collisions and arguments when two drivers from opposite sides each believed that it was his turn to go (talking about road rage?). In 1972 the new bridge of concrete construction was built across the river with the result that the old one is no longer in use.
- Today, the Dam supplies irrigation water through a 544km long network of canals to 159.76km² of farmland.
- The shape of the dam wall is found nowhere else in South Africa.
- 250 000 bags of cement were used for the dam wall.
- At full capacity, the dam fills to 205 million cubic meters of water.
- The Transvaal Yacht Club has been operating at the dam since its construction in 1923. NSRI Station 25, located at the dam, is one of only three National Sea Rescue Institute inland stations and provides a water rescue service at the dam
- The dam wall is almost 150m long and 60m high and build in an odd shape, termed by the Romans, “Triumphant Arch” who prized it for its strenght in retaining water. To accentuate the design a copy of the Arc de Triumph in Paris is built as a feature on the wall.
- Your footsteps follow those who walked here back to the beginning of time. It is an area rich in fossil hominid remains, battle fields and cultural history.
- A number of highly significant paleontological and archaeological finds have been made in the area, which has to date yielded the largest sample of fossilized hominid remains.
- In 1977, the Magaliesberg was proclaimed a Protected Natural Environment.
- The suburbs of Kosmos, Schoemansville, Melodie, Ifafi, Meerhof, Broederstroom, The Coves Estate and Pecanwood Estate can be found alongside the banks of the dam